Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Today (July 5th)

Ciao!  Today we had a bus trip all over the area around Naples to see ancient Roman sites.  We started off at the House of Publius Vedius Pollio, who was infamous for his cruelty in ancient Roman times.  Apparently, if a slave upset him (by breaking a glass, spilling a drink, etc.), he would condemn them to his man-eating eels in a nearby fishpond!  Here's a view from his house (which he willed to Augustus, the first emperor of Rome):


We next drove to the tomb of Vergil, who is the most well-known and loved poet of Rome (he wrote the Aeneid).  It was quite the pilgrimage climbing to the top of such a steep hill, but so worth it.  Here's a bust of my boy:


Then we went on to a museum with a beautiful view of the Bay of Naples.  Most of the museum, of course, was closed, but it was great to look out over the blue water and imagine what it used to look like.    The ancient city Baiae is partially submerged under water now, thanks to the volcanic activity of the area, so I think I'll have to come back some day and go snorkeling in the area.  Locke, you interested?


After lunch, we went to the nearby Baths of Baiae, whose remains are in pretty good shape.  My camera battery ran out, so no pictures for this stop, but it was a really cool site-- one of the best I've seen for a Roman bath complex.  Because of the volcanic activity in the area, there were several baths in the area over thermal springs, and this complex was quite extensive.

FINALLY, we made it to Cumae, where the Sibyl (prophetess) supposedly had her cave of prophecy.  This was where I gave my big presentation for the trip, so I described how the Sibyl came to be and what her role in Roman mythology was.  I think it went well, so yay for that!

Yesterday

Yesterday we spent the entire day in Pompeii.  We'll actually be going back again next Monday, so luckily we didn't have to see the whole site in one trip.  I had forgotten how huge the ruins were!  I was oohing and awwing over everything I saw, it was heaven.  The title of this program is "Houses of Mortals and Gods," so we of course spent most of our time looking at housing in Pompeii.  Here are a few fun pictures from Pompeii:

Michael walking across a typical Roman street (the stepping stones are so you don't have to step in all the waste--like urine, dirty water, etc.--getting washed down the street!)

A body cast next to artifacts in the old grainery

Sister Therese Maria (one of the sisters--can you believe she's leading this trip?!) talking about the House of the Faun in Pompeii

In the forum of Pompeii (Vesuvius is barely visible in the background... duh duh duuuuuuh)

So that is all I will share for now, sorry this is so much at once!  I'm basically writing much of this so I'll remember tomorrow what I've already done.  Here are a few parting pieces of information you may enjoy (or that may help you realize how awesome America is):

  • Italy does not believe in AC.  Not in our hotel, not on our bus, and not in the cafeteria at Pompeii. Awesome.  I've never sweat so much in my life.
  • Italians do not believe in 1-piece bathing suits.  It doesn't matter how many rolls you got, bikinis are the only acceptable form of swimwear...even if you're 80.
  • All Italians ever eat is bread.  Bread for breakfast (with coffee of some sort), bread for lunch (with meat or cheese, but not both), and bread for dinner (with pasta and some kind of meat).  I may not like it by the end of this trip.

Miss you all!  Buena sera (good night)!

No comments:

Post a Comment