Friday, July 23, 2010

July 21st

Today our pal Henry Bender (from yesterday) came to lead us on a tour of the Ara Pacis ("altar of peace") and the Mausoleum of Augustus.  I had never seen the Ara Pacis before, and I loved it!  It is one of the best preserved monuments from ancient Rome, and it is such a testament to the power and iconography used by Augustus.  Here's a model of it in the museum, because it was just too big to get a single shot of it:


In the afternoon, we travelled across the Tiber River to visit the Mausoleum of Hadrian (now known as Castello San'Angello).  Here is another model of what it originally looked like when it served as a tomb for Hadrian and his dynasty:


Me about halfway up the Castello

1 comment:

  1. I know I should comment on the historical stuff, but you are super tan!!! See you in a few days!

    ReplyDelete