Friday, July 23, 2010

July 20th

For our second full day in Rome, we had another visiting scholar (Henry Bender) lead us through the Imperial Forum of Augustus (the first Roman emperor).  I usually have ignored the imperial fora (that are on the other side of the main road through Rome, across from the Forum Romanum) since I didn't know much about them, so today was more enlightening.

After lunch, we headed to the Colosseum--since what visit to Rome is incomplete without it.  They run special exhibits in the Colosseum, and today we saw one on gladiators (very appropriate).  Here are some pictures:





One thing I never knew until this trip about Roman amphitheaters and gladiator matches in general was the way the underground system worked.  For instance, I didn't know that there was scenery used for the gladiator matches, so that it felt more like a play than a hard-core battle.  In the picture below you can see a little tree about to get pulled up to the top to add to the scenery:

No comments:

Post a Comment