I made it to Baltimore!
Before we go to Italy on Friday, we are spending a week in Baltimore at the College of Notre Dame (a small Catholic college close to Loyola and Johns Hopkins). It's our chance to get preliminary information and to do research at their library before we leave.
I have now met each of the 24 other participants, and I've been surprised by the variety of people. About half of us are Latin teachers, and the rest are English, history, math, and science high school teachers. The average age seems younger than I thought it would be, probably late 20's early 30's, so it's been nice talking with younger teachers and sharing our stories. There are 2 sisters who are running our program, Sister Theresa and Sister Therese Marie, who are the sweetest ladies and are both professors at Notre Dame. I'll get a picture of them as soon as I can!
For the program, we each have to fulfill 4 major requirements (besides the obvious of attending everything, etc.). First, we have to do a presentation (about 20 min.) to the group on a topic of our choice- mine is the Sybil of Cumae (more details later). Second, we have to lead a Latin translation session OR a discussion session on some aspect of Roman culture. Third, we have to present a house in Pompeii while we are on sight. And fourth, we have to prepare a final project by the end of our session that we can distribute and share with the other teachers. I'm not sure yet what my final project will be, but I may do something on Roman prophets or divination. I want to come up with some really cool lesson plan to do in the fall. What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment